Tuesday 17 March 2015

Look And Learn - 1969.

I came across this old Look And Learn Annual a little while ago, and decided to pick it up as it reminded me of my childhood. Living in a time where the future seemed so exciting, full of space flight and robots. The promise of Science Fiction becoming Science Fact. With no limitations.
I'm not sure that I ever owned this particular book, but the message was a common one of the 60s and 70s.
I was sure that I'd possess my own Robot, a mechanical servant to help me with my day to day chores. A bit like Will Robinson, but in a flat in Sydenham rather than on some exotic planet out there somewhere.
And then as I got older and I read books and watched films where the robots actually turn on their masters,  I accepted that it was probably for the best.
So, let the children of today take their turn. Let them see their dreams of robot servants turn to worry about robot masters.
I think it's a circle of life thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment